"Increasingly, precincts have become de facto detention centers. In Albuquerque alone 90,000 students, were arrested between 2009-2010. In Texas, an estimated 300,000 kids were give misdemeanors in 2010. That number includes children as young as 6.-
“You’ve gradually seen this morphing from schools taking care of their own environments to the police and security personnel, and all of a sudden it just became more and more that we were relying on law enforcement to control everyday behavior,” Austin-based juvenile court judge Jeanne Meurer told The Guardian in an investigative report on the policing of children in America. The British newspaper’s in-depth article was published in January, four months before a Georgia 6-year-old was carted out of her kindergarten classroom in handcuffs after allegedly throwing a caustic tantrum.
Handcuffs, really? “There is no age discrimination on that rule,” a Georgia police chief told local news. The child’s parents have started a petition in an effort to change that.
Over the past year, kids under the age of 13 have been arrested, or threatened with arrest, for giving wedgies, having a food fight and spraying perfume. In more serious circumstances, children are facing real prison time over hockey game fouls and threatening classroom notes. One 6-year-old was accused of sexual assault by school officials during a recess game of tag. In order to have the sexual battery charge wiped from his school record, the child’s parents had to hire a lawyer to prove that the charges had no legal basis. "
How do you write a story about this with no mention of race?
It’s also a fact that Black And Latino kids are more likely to be disciplined, are disproportionately diagnosed with learning disabilities, more likely to be suspended, are the most vulnerable victims of the school to prison pipeline & are the most likely to attend underfunded schools.
So I mean, really, Yahoo? Really?
Chile, this is YAHOO! You expect fuckin’ responsible talk about race from YAHOO?!
- vampirefinch reblogged this from karnythia
- exceedinglytrans reblogged this from sqweak
- katelynninja likes this
- elusivemusings likes this
- themindislimitless reblogged this from strugglingtobeheard
- mostholywizardchrist reblogged this from prettyguardiantwerkteam
- prettyguardiantwerkteam reblogged this from witchsistah
- felagundsangrypoliticalblog likes this
- cufats likes this
- freshmouthgoddess likes this
- harsyra reblogged this from witchsistah
- talesofthestarshipregeneration reblogged this from strugglingtobeheard
- themindislimitless likes this
- witchsistah reblogged this from strugglingtobeheard
- trufia likes this
- strugglingtobeheard reblogged this from queerandpresentdanger
- strugglingtobeheard likes this
- fakemeet likes this
- soilrockslove likes this
- resmc likes this
- pupsandtea likes this
- peaceshine3 likes this
- pumpkinbuttercup reblogged this from browneyedwerecat
- pumpkinbuttercup likes this
- browneyedwerecat reblogged this from logiccontroldeck
- logiccontroldeck reblogged this from karnythia
- logiccontroldeck likes this
- bitterseafigtree reblogged this from pinklacepanties
- storyofaquietgirl likes this
- gwest650 likes this
- cool-whatever reblogged this from dearwhitefolk
- castillolaw likes this
- leoparddog reblogged this from dearwhitefolk
- billiejeandavy reblogged this from dearwhitefolk
- nocturnalphantasmagoria reblogged this from dearwhitefolk
- bootydeficit reblogged this from dynastylnoire
- theslitherydee reblogged this from bluechirri
- bluechirri reblogged this from dearwhitefolk
- officialsmokescreen reblogged this from dearwhitefolk
- officialsmokescreen likes this
- doomburger reblogged this from polerin
- daggerpen reblogged this from dearwhitefolk
- politicalnighties likes this
- laziestgenius likes this
- shitifindon reblogged this from fullyarticulatedgoldskeleton
- fullyarticulatedgoldskeleton reblogged this from polerin
- badlittlelostboy reblogged this from dynastylnoire